Monday, August 24, 2015

"Cops, Jehovah Witnesses, or Mormons? What are you?

🏼This is one of my favorite scriptures from the New Testament, because it's so easy all we have to do it come unto Him. The scriptures are Matthew 11:28-30

28 ¶Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light

(I am going to write down the event right after it happens so if I say we set up a date for a lesson then I say oh I hope something happens that means it just happened) I think what he means is this letter is more like a journal...a progress of what happened and is happening.~~Mom 

Monday: The first lesson was with this sweet old man who we have to teach so slowly because he misses a lot of what we say. Which is really helpful to me because I can't speak quickly. The second lesson we had was with a man we met on the street. He was about 50 and I was so excited for this lesson because he seemed really excited when we met him on the street the other day, but when we knocked on the door we got yelled at. The man said, "NO QUIERO SU IGLESIA! TENGA MI IGLESIA!! VAN VAN VAN!" Which in English is "I don't want your church. I have my own church. Go away go away go away." So I got a little upset but then I got the strong overwhelming feeling that I needed to bear my testimony, and I did. After I did I wasn't upset I felt peace and happiness. I knew that I wasn't going to get to teach him or see him baptized or enter the temple but I had a strong feeling and I knew that one day another missionary would knock on his door and he would accept the gospel. After that we went to our last appointment with a family. We teach the parents one day in Spanish and then the next day we teach the daughters in English. So today was the day to teach the daughters and I am always extra excited to teach them because it is in English. So we get to their door and all of the lights are off. And their car isn't in the driveway. We knock on the door and nothing. We wait then knock again annnnnnnnd nothing. So we wrote them a note on a card of the Phoenix temple, and then text them and say we passed by and they weren't there. We went back to the car and sat and thought of who to visit and we had the idea to visit an older lady who we knocked on her door about a week ago and she said to come back around this time because she went to Mexico to visit her husband. We went to her house knocked on her door and shared a little message about how Jesus Christ lives and how he wants everyone to live with Heavenly Father again. The two lessons we did have there were members present which is freakin sweet! 

Tuesday: During studies we received a phone call from a man in another ward who was doing seminary patrol and he said a Hispanic lady walked into the church and asked if this building was a house of prayer and stuff like that. He gave her our phone number and said she is going to call us. Hopefully she calls us! So we got a call from our zone leaders saying they have a referral for us (which means a member has a friend who is a nonmember who they think will like the church) and the ZLs said that this lady needs help moving into an apartment and we said yes that would be lots of fun! So we moved her in not even having the intention to say much about the church but she kept asking questions about it! It was so awesome! I think she is going to be a very promising investigator! We also got a call from the English missionaries down in Glendale and they have a referral for us as well. Last week was a long and slow one but like it says in the New Testament in James 2:17 "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." I love that scripture because we need faith and if we don't test our faith we don't have faith. We had 2 lessons with less active members about the importance of going to church and they were both really excited to see us and said they would definitely go to church! We are in daily planning session right now and my companion and I just "discussed" about what to teach our investigators. I have been struggling with him. 

Wednesday: Got a freakin awesome workout in the gym today! We meet with two less active families and they were so happy to see us and we asked them to come back to church and they both said yes and then they both gave us names of people who lived near them to visit! We found a new investigator through a member during dinner! When we walked into our dinner appointment we saw a new kid we had never met so we thought oh man the members brought him over but he is not going to want to listen to us. But we found out that the kid asked to come over to the house. The member told him yes of coarse but we are having the missionaries over so I understand if you don't want to come over. And he said yes I would love to hear from them! And we taught him about families. We shared the scripture in Mosiah 4:14-15       
14 And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the evil spirit which hath been spoken of by our fathers, he being an enemy to all righteousness. 15 But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another. 
I freakin love those scripture because every time I read them I want to be the best dad I can be! Always attending activities, playing with my kids, and being the one who wakes up in the night to comfort them or get them what they need! We helped a random lady wash her car and we asked if we could stop by another day and she said yes but she is really strong in the Bible and said she would prepare her questions for us so I don't know if it's going to be a good lesson or not... 

Thursday: Another freakin solid workout! Thursday's are the hardest days because we don't leave the house until 5. We do normal everyday studies until 1 and then from 1-5 it is weekly planning studies and I have a hard time staying focused because I don't get to help with anything. We had three lessons planned but all three fell through.  So we did a lot of tracking which at least in Arizona is not effective because almost everyone has a sign that says "no soliciting" so when we knock they yell at us or other things! But they are at least nice enough to offer us water!🏼 We are daily planning and he is just talking about his other areas in his mission because he already planned for the day.  I want to help him but he won't let me! I have had a headache all day and my comp has been singing in the car all day really loudly but I didn't want to be mean to him and tell him to stop. 

Friday: We didn't get to do a full workout today because a woman came into the gym so we had to leave. It was sad. Two of our three lessons fell through . But we had an amazing one with a less active and oh my gosh she can talk your ear off in English or in Spanish! We are headed to meet one of our investigators who always cancels on us. And we are going to talk with him about why we are here and that stuff. I really hope he is home! He wasn't home but we went to another referral and the owner of the house came from around the corner and when he saw both of us he put up his hands and started to slowly back away as we walked up to him and when we stopped he stopped walking away but he still had his hands up. He said, "Cops, Jehovah witnesses, Mormons, what are you?" So we answered him missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He pointed his finger at our car and yelled "Begone you fowl demons of the infernal pit of hell!" So we told him to have a nice day and left.Apparently we are daemons! 

Saturday: Just had a freakin full 45 minute workout! 🏽 Happy P-Day Adam! The day before PDay Eve. So I was on my knees praying before personal study and all of a sudden I feel like I am falling so I look up at the clock and I had fallen asleep praying so I missed all of personal studies today... . We had three lessons planned and they all canceled but we knew three people that we also needed to teach and those three went really well. All of the lessons were about enduring to the end! I love talking about that! And I know if I endure to the end and obey all of the commandments of God I can live with him and my future wife forever! And I can't wait to get married and treat my wife like the queen she is! And spend eternity with her!️ We met another person who thought we were of the devil. It is so funny to listen to what people think of us. If you guys have funny stories of what people have said about LDS members email me! 

Sunday: mucho mucho español! I can't handle all of the Spanish! Hopefully at least 4 out of 7 investigators come to church today.  Nope, none of our investigators came to church today! . Really sad thing. But we got a less active family to return to church! We did a ton of tracking and we only found one family who seems really excited about coming to church and doing actives with the church we have a lesson with them on Saturday but I won't be there to see how it goes because on Saturday I will go on exchanges with my ZL. 

❤️ Elder Studs

No comments:

Post a Comment